Frequently Asked Questions
This video is an introduction to Mundia.com and its features
- Mundia Overview
- Company Background
- Data Privacy
- Mundia Registration
- Family Trees and Profiles
- Uploading Content
- Existing Members of Ancestry Websites
- Contacting Mundia Support
- What is Mundia?
- Mundia is a site where families create and share family trees (and the profiles of the people included in those trees), family history information, and family news with each other in their own family spaces on the site. It is also a place where you can discover and contact relatives around the world through searching and browsing the public portion of the information shared on Mundia.
- Who operates the Mundia website?
- Mundia has been developed by the creators of the leading family history website Ancestry.com and its global network of sites (which include Ancestry.co.uk, Ancestry.ca, Ancestry.com.au and other sites, together the “Ancestry Websites”). By registering for Mundia, you become part of the Ancestry community. The company that operates the Mundia website is based in the United States and is known as Ancestry.com Operations Inc.
- Are you phasing out Ancestry.com or any other Ancestry Websites?
- No, we are not. The Ancestry Websites will continue to be the leading resource for family history records on the Internet. Mundia is complementary to the Ancestry Websites.
- Is my privacy protected on this site?
- How do I make my personal profile non-searchable?
- You can make your personal profile non-searchable by changing your personal privacy settings on the My Account page.
- What information is visible for each profile in my family tree?
- The visible information varies for each of the three possible types of profiles in your tree, as follows:
- For profiles of deceased people (or people with no birth date) in your family tree, the entire profile may be visible.
- For profiles of living Mundia members within your family tree who have accepted an invitation to the tree and identified themselves in the tree, the entire profile is visible unless the applicable member has marked his or her profile “non-searchable” (in which case, some information may still be visible to some people, as noted above).
- For profiles of living people in your family tree who are not Mundia members or who are Mundia members but have not accepted an invitation and identified themselves in the tree: their profile photo is not visible and “Private” is displayed instead of their name (unless their profile is being viewed by a member invited to that tree with rights to view the living people listed in that tree (“View Living”)).
- Is Mundia free?
- Yes. Membership to Mundia is free with registration during the beta period. After the beta period, we may charge a nominal fee for access to premium features but basic functionality will remain free. There will be no obligation to sign up to the premium package at that time and you will not be billed automatically. Learn more about the basic and premium features here.
- How do I delete my account?
- If you want to delete your Mundia account, click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of your logged in home page, then click on “Deactivate my account” in the lower right hand corner of the page. This link will take you to a page that presents you with the following options:
- You can choose to make your Mundia profile not searchable (private) and deactivate your account.
- You can choose to make your Mundia profile not searchable (private), deactivate your account and hide your trees.
- You can choose to permanently and irreversibly delete your Mundia account. You will need to fill in the account cancellation form to do this.
Family Trees and Profiles
- What is a "profile"?
- A "profile" is a representation of a person in a family tree.
- How did you get over 1 billion profiles in your family tree network as a new site?
- Mundia is connected to the Ancestry Websites and part of the Ancestry community. All of the public family trees throughout the Ancestry Websites are visible on Mundia.
- I already created my family tree on another website. Why should I put my tree on Mundia also?
- Mundia helps you grow your tree automatically. Unlike other websites, Mundia’s robust matching technology automatically searches more than 1 billion profiles in the world’s largest collection of family trees to provide matches that help you grow your own tree. You may see a unique green leaf on a person's profile in your tree to indicate a possible match. You can choose to accept the match and instantly merge additional data into your own tree. Mundia also helps you discover and connect with living relatives across the world.
- Is my Mundia family tree visible to individuals who have registered on the Ancestry Websites and are part of the Ancestry community, as well as to individuals who have registered on Mundia?
- Yes. The data in all Mundia family trees is visible to members of both Mundia and the Ancestry Websites so relatives searching on Mundia or the Ancestry Websites may see your public tree data and contact you. Further, if someone gets invited to view your family tree on another Ancestry Website, they may be able to view all profiles on your family tree, including yours.
- Who can edit my family tree?
- You may invite people to access your tree and can grant them certain rights to add or edit the people in the tree. The chart below shows the different roles that can be given to invitees and the rights associated with each.
- You can remove or change the roles of invitees on the Manage Invitees page.
- Can I delete profiles from my tree?
- The tree owner can delete any profile from the tree. Only tree owners and invited Administrators can delete profiles of living Mundia members within your family tree who have accepted an invitation to the tree and identified themselves in the tree. Editors and contributors cannot invite people to the tree or change the roles of invitees.
- How can I contact relatives I find on Mundia?
- Click on the name of any relative you find and contact them through the Mundia Message Center.
- For Existing Members of Ancestry Websites
- The roles and rights of invitees to your trees on the Ancestry Websites are respected on Mundia. E.g. an Editor on Ancestry would be an Editor on Mundia.
|Add stories and photos|
|Add and edit people|
|Invite others to join||2|
|Delete or rename tree|
1 Optional, but sees living by default
2 Can invite Editors & Contributors
- What kind of content should I upload to the site?
- You may add profile photos for the people in your family tree as well as interesting family history photos associated with stories and events about people in your family. For example, photos of family activities, reunions, historical residences, cars your family drove, and other such images help tell the story of your ancestors and relatives.
- Do I need to get permission before uploading photos of other people?
- Can I remove photos and other content after I upload it?
- You may remove content you upload by clicking “Delete” on any item you have added (visible when the cursor is on the item). Of course, once something has been uploaded and viewed by others on the Internet, the content may be copied and re-posted by someone else. Be thoughtful about what you elect to upload.
- Are there any rules for what kind of descriptions and comments I can make?
- Do you review uploaded content before it is visible to other members?
- We may, but we have no obligation to do so (and, indeed, we may elect not to do so). It is the responsibility of each Mundia member to use his or her best judgment when uploading content. We rely upon the Mundia community to use the “Report abuse” link (visible when the cursor is on an item) to make us aware of content that is inappropriate or believed to violate copyright or privacy.
- Can I upload my GEDCOM file to Mundia?
- Yes. You can upload a GEDCOM by going to the Manage Trees page, selecting "Create a new Tree", and choosing "upload a GEDCOM" at the bottom of the screen.
Existing Members of Ancestry Websites
- If I am already a registered member of an Ancestry Website, will my existing username and password allow me to log in to the Mundia website?
- Does Mundia show my full profile including my birth date?
- On Mundia, only invited members of your family tree with “see living” rights selected can see your full birth date on your profile. If your profile is searchable, others on Mundia will see your birth year if you have entered it, but they will not see the day and month of your birth date. However, on the other Ancestry Websites, anyone who is invited to view your tree may be able to see your full profile, including your full birth date.
- Can I protect my personal profile on Mundia?
- If my family tree on the Ancestry Websites is private, will it automatically become public when I log in to Mundia?
- No. Logging into Mundia will not automatically change your family tree settings on the Ancestry Websites. If your tree is private on the Ancestry Websites, then it will be non-searchable on Mundia. However, as noted above, your tree and profiles may still be viewable by certain people.
- If I have a public family tree on the Ancestry Websites, will it be searchable on Mundia when I log in to Mundia?
- Yes. If your family tree is public on the Ancestry Websites, then it will be searchable on Mundia when you log in to that website.
- If I make a change to my family tree on Mundia, will it also change my family tree on the Ancestry Websites?
- Your family tree on Mundia is the same family tree you use on the Ancestry Websites. Any changes you make to your tree on Mundia will be reflected on the Ancestry Websites, and vice versa.
Contacting Mundia Support
- How do I contact Mundia support with product feedback or a general complaint?
- Use the “Contact Us” link or the “Beta Feedback” link found on the bottom of almost every page on the Mundia site. Alternatively, you can contact Mundia support by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I report a specific copyright violation, or offensive content or privacy concern?
- o Move your cursor over the detail view of the content you want to report, and you will see a “Report abuse” link appear. Click that link and then enter the details of your complaint in the space provided and submit. For more information, please refer to the Mundia Copyright Policy.